The Iron Rose Chronicles
You know the law. In many cases, you are the law. Having served as a thief-taker, magistrate, perhaps even bounty killer, you know how to investigate crimes as well as how to interpret, argue, and, when necessary, enforce the laws of a community or jurisdiction. Depending on the powers vested in you, you serve as investigator, judge, jury, and – when the situation demands – executioner.
Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Investigation
Tool Proficiencies: legal codex †
Languages: One of your choice
Feature: Law Enforcement
If you stay in a community for longer than a week, you come to understand enough of its laws and customs to make you eligible for a position in its legal system. Whether the ruling powers agree to deputize you depends on them. As a licensed marshal, you gain whatever enforcement and adjudication powers the rulers and the community’s laws decree, and you can deputize companions fit to aid you in your task. Even as an unlicensed vigilante or consulting detective for hire, you know enough of the letter of the law to make a compelling case before a judge.
† New Tool: Legal Codex (price and weight as book)
If you are proficient in legal codices and possess the appropriate legal codex for a given jurisdiction, you may add your proficiency bonus when interacting in an official capacity with agents of the law or when arguing points of law with anyone in the jurisdiction. This includes criminal and civil trials.
1. I’m affable and easy-going, even when taking down the bad guys.
2. I’m intense and watchful, seeing potential trouble everywhere.
3. I stay detached and “by the book” – nothing ever needs to get personal.
4. I prefer to be underestimated – I appear lazier and more bumbling than I am, ask questions that seem foolish but make perfect sense in hindsight, and otherwise set traps for those who contest me.
5. Once a bad seed, always a bad seed – I am harshly judgmental of those who have erred even once.
6. I am argumentative, seeing everything as a debate to be won and never letting a point of order go.
7. I am deferential to authority more than rulings – those chosen through merit, tradition, or birth understand the intent of the law even if the letter must be bent a bit.
8. I get emotionally involved in my client’s defense – especially if I genuinely believe my client innocent.
1. The Law. The Law is the Law. None are above the Law – least of all those who enforce it. “Fair and harsh” are my precepts – and I am harshest of all on myself. (Lawful)
2. Punishment. Those who transgress – no matter how slightly – are guilty and must be punished. And, in the end, all are guilty. Examples – terrible, soul-searing examples – must be made. (Evil)
3. Street Justice. The law coddles the wealthy and connected while oppressing the poor and powerless. Sometimes you have to take the law into your own hands. (Chaotic)
4. Rehabilitation. No one is beyond redemption. Protecting the righteous from the wicked is my duty, but leading the wicked to righteousness is my joy. (Good)
5. Community. My community cannot hold unless its people are kept safe from threats in their midst. I do what must be done. (Any)
6. The Truth. Shine a light on the darkness and let things fall as they may, without fear or favor. (Neutral)
1. When I swear an oath to protect and serve a community, I keep that oath no matter what.
2. A certain criminal has eluded me time and again. I will not rest until I bring this villain down.
3. My family was murdered by criminals. I will avenge all in similar circumstances.
4. Mysteries fascinate me, and I doggedly pursue their solution both for hire and for the sheer joy of it. Truth be known, I do it more for the joy of testing my wits than out of loyalty to a cause.
5. Those who protect and serveI see conspiracies, collusion, and machinations everyfnordwhere.
6. I have taken a significant bribe, and a certain crimelord knows it and can prove it.
7. I came from the slums, and conflict between my oaths and my experience as a downtrodden youth still eats at me. Moreover, some among my birth community consider my profession a betrayal.
8. I am obsessed with righting wrongs and tracking wrongdoers, to the exclusion of other, healthier interests.
9. I am fascinated by the intellectual rigor of the perfect legal argument – and, though their ends may be foul, I have seen no more intricately crafted statutes than those of the Nine Hells.
10. The law is a path to righteousness but also a path to power – and oh, how much better things would be if I had just a bit of power….